This course is conducted by industry experts with years of experience and technical know-how within the drilling industry.
The course will teach you all you need to know about drilling fluids (muds), including the circulation system and how to choose correct drilling fluids.
You will learn the difference between clay and polymer mud, which chemicals to add and how to maintain and condition a mud.
The course will also cover how to test mud and choose the most suitable mud type for a particular application.
You will be shown how to combat potential down hole problems.
MUD TECHNIQUES & TESTS COURSE is appropriate for drillers, drill supervisors and managers involved in waterwell or environmental drilling activities.
At the completion of the course, participants will:
- Understand the elements of the circulation system.
- Be aware of all the functions of the drilling fluid.
- Know the different properties of a drilling fluid and the significance of these properties
- Be aware of choices of drilling fluids
- Understand the components of drilling mud and the difference between clay and polymer mud
- Know what and why chemicals are added to mud
- Be able to establish the drilling mud criteria for clean and stable holes
- Know how to maintain and condition a mud
- Be able to choose the most suitable mud type for a particularly application
- Understand why and how to test mud
- Be able to mix and condition a mud.
The course contributes towards elements of competency for the following units:
- RIICTT301D Conduct fluid assisted directional boring
- RIINHB219D Assist with air drilling
- RIINHB206D Assist large diameter auger drilling
- RIINHB208D Assist diamond core drilling
- RIINHB209D Assist guided boring
- RIINHB211D Assist mud rotary drilling
- RIINHB213D Assist cable tool drilling
- RIINHB217D Assist horizontal directional drilling
- RIINHB304D Conduct air drilling
- RIINHB307D Conduct conventional core drilling
- RIINHB308D Conduct wireline core drilling
- RIINHB311D Conduct mud rotary drilling
- RIINHB322D Construct multiple aquifer production bores
- RIINHB325D Construct and complete single aquifer production bores
- RIINHB411D Construct artesian (flowing) aquifer production bores
- RIINHB412D Construct geothermal wells
- RIIOGD203D Prepare and operate drilling fluid systems
- RIIOGD304D Apply effective coal seam gas control practices
- RIIOGD305D Apply blow out prevention operational procedures
- RIIOGD405D Carry out well control and blowout prevention